Neck stiffness can occur with or without neck pain, and can range in severity from a mild discomfort and slight problem in moving the neck through to debilitating pain and the complete inability to move or bend the neck. Neck stiffness can also lead to strained ligaments and pain in the back and arms.
Neck pain frequently results from muscle strains due to overuse in sports and work-related activities. Other common causes of neck pain include whiplash, worn joints, disk injuries, compressed nerves and bone spurs, as well as diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and, more rarely, meningitis and cancer.
Treatment can include one or more of the following:
- Sleep advice – such as use a different pillow at night
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications
- Injection therapy
- Heat and ice therapy
- Neck exercises and stretching
- Stress management
- Cervical collar to help support the head
- Surgery or traction – where symptoms persist
How can we help you?